• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Monday, May 22, 2006

 

From Poop to Riches?


This job hunting business is exhausting. You spend so much time searching, and over half the things you take the time to read about are not even in your league.

I have an interview coming up with a company that I think would really be a great start. Good pay, decent work, not terribly stressful so I'd have time to consider my goals before jumping into the next thing head first. But the actual position that I have the interview for just won't pay enough. So I'm going to try to weasel my way into a different position during the interview. I've heard they often interview for several positions at once, so... here's hoping...

The temperature is pretty awesome here. Perhaps I bring the cold with me wherever I go.

Yesterday I went to the zoo. I know that everyone has to start somewhere, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't completely suck. We were in the bird area, and some guy (early 20's) was inside the cage cleaning up bird crap while the birds were in there. You couldn't pay me to get in a locked area with those birds; of course, they probably DON'T pay him. He probably does that job because he wants some higher up job at the zoo. Who said that any experience is good experience? How do you network with fellow zoo workers when you're in a cage scraping up miscellaneous bird nastiness? And birds really are nasty.

I took a picture of the guy, but I left my cord to put the pictures on the computer at one of my two other locations. More later.

We also had the pleasure of watching some flamingos get it on. After the male flamingo was "finished," he started strutting around making noise and picking fights with the other flamingos. Those other male flamingos who didn't get any sure must have felt low.

The male flamingo got so excited that at once point he actually jumped on top of the female and his feet were on her back. Who knows how that works out. I never read the Kama Sutra for flamingos. A quick googling clears up some of the confusion; apparently this was a pretty normal fling:

From BuschGardens.org:

E. Copulation.

1. A female will most often initiate copulation by walking away from the group. A male follows close behind.
2. The female stops, lowers her head, and spreads her wings. This behavior is an invitation to the male to mount her.
3. Mating most often occurs in the water. The male jumps onto the female's back from behind, firmly planting his feet on her wing joints.
4. After mating, the male stands on the female's back, then jumps off over her head. He may then vocalize and shake his wings.


They are sassy birds.

From Miami University of Ohio:

A female flamingo will most often initiate mating by walking away from the pat, or group, with her larger male counterpart following close behind. She invites the male to mate close to the water during the summertime. After mating the male stands on the female’s back, then jumps off over her head. Both parents actively participate in nest building, incubating, and chick rearing. The flamingos form long-term pair bonds, so they will be looking for the same mate when mating season comes around next summer. Breeding is synchronized within the pat so that most of the birds are laying eggs at the same time.


Well that's nice... they only want to jump off of one female's head.

Animals are hilarious.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home