• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Friday, May 26, 2006

 

Pretty Little Things


A lot of people hate on Martha Stewart. She did some shitty things, but
1. She did time; that's more than most celebrities do when they step in shit.
2. She has built an amazing empire.

3. She's actually quite talented.

I'm not a woman who has always been obsessed with weddings. Much to the dismay of many of my law school classmates I do not have a picture of my ideal wedding, nor have I already decided on names for my non-existent children. But I do have an appreciation for Martha's wedding cakes.

If you refer to the post "Wanted - Dream Job" you will see that baking and decorating cakes was in my want ad. Preferably it would be nice to do wedding cakes.

But I'm not sure how I feel about her latest magazine, Blueprint.

Blueprint seems nice enough at first. The advertisement lists a bunch of fun things:

16 Instant Artwork Ideas
3 Simple Scarf Patterns
Dinner Party in a Box
Carpet Pinboard How-to
Create Your Own Wall Worthy Artwork

But then it also has some things that make me wary. I get the feeling that this magazine is trying to be a combination of Cosmo and Good Housekeeping. Not just the handy and neat art/food/plant stuff from Martha Stewart Living, but also adding in the ways to please your man/slimming swim suits/how Janet Jackson lost the weight and kept it off that you might find in another magazine... another magazine that I would not read.

Dresses that go from the office to out on the town
This Spring's hottest makeup trends
Beauty, fashion, fitness

Of course it's a great idea, and I'm sure plenty of people will be interested. And I'm probably blowing this out of proportion, but it just goes against what I thought Martha was all about. She didn't seem into the beauty tips or what to wear for a night out. Martha means cakes and pies, growing awesome herbs and whipping them into an incredible dinner, and how to make a unique craft out of an old coffee can. Why did she (ie her marketing department) have to mess with that killer formula?


”Cake


1 Comments:

Blogger MGW said...

Haven't seen Blue Print but I love Martha's other magazines, especially Everyday Food. I agree that Martha has built an amazing empire. I enjoy her creativity and her recipes -- and the pictures in her magazines have been absolutely awsome. Milly

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home