• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

 

The Bizarre, The Irritating, and The Ugly


I love to embellish as much as the next guy, but some things you just can't make up. This describes my latest interview.

The interview was with a small company, and my interviewers are probably younger than I am. But the best part is that they were total nerds who asked me ridiculous questions.
These 'kids' had no clue how to interview. They started it all off by asking if I had an "opening statement." The very first question they asked me was "What was your rank in law school, if you don't mind my asking." He wasn't even asking for the purposes of the interview, just curiosity because he will be attending law school in the fall (good luck, CHUMP). First, grades aren't all out yet. Second, whoa! That kid has some balls!

I was asked if, being left-handed, do I feel that I am truly right-brained? What was my favorite part of philosophy class? What is philosophical anarchism? How much did you pay for law school? What are your short term goals, long term goals, and "super long term goals"? What do you like best about gmail? I see you used to work for the court system, how often are cases decided in victims' favor?

At the end of the interview one of them gave me his business card. He said not to flash it around because he made it himself. Under his name is says "Lord of Law." It really should have said "Dungeons and Dragons Master." Yeah, he'll have a great time this fall.

The founder/old guy/head boss interviewed me for awhile, too. He seemed to like me. I think nerds have a nose for other nerds, even if I'm not of the D and D variety.

Then I came home to play the great law school loan game. I had an amazing time bouncing back and forth from calls with the school (fin aid put me through to the registrar, the registrar put me through to the law school, the law school put me through to the registrar, the registrar put me through to the Dean's Office, and so on and so forth) and my loan provider. No one knows what's flying.

Basically, I need to withdraw by July 1 to lock-in the low rates and get a six month grace period before repayment starts. But, I can't withdraw until all the grades are in on July 1 or else my entire year of pain is incomplete and all for nothing. Are we seeing the problem? I wanted to scream at the loan provider, "My school is completely ineffectual and incompetent!"

I bet the Lord of Law would know what to do...



2 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Hi...I am the person whom you encouraged to keep blogging a few days ago. Thank you.

I see you are moving/have recently moved (?) and hope things are going well.

I sympathize with the name thing and trying to respond to questions/comments you've heard many times before!

I hope your new life will have many moments that are not bizarre, irritating, or ugly. I'm sure massage will help bring those about.

Peace to you......sheila

5:40 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

I don't know why I used "whom" above. It would have read just as well without any pronoun. I think I changed my thoughts in mid-sentence. C'est la vie.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home