• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Thursday, June 15, 2006

 

Stay Calm?


Have you ever gone to a job interview hoping not to get the job?

This is how I feel today as the time ticks closer to my 3:30 p.m. interview. I know I shouldn't "waste" the interviewer's time, but I am somewhat curious, and the interviewer can just sit there and shut up!

This is the oldest and biggest company that I have applied to so far. I first submitted my resume in February, or so I thought. I realized about two months later that I had only created a profile and had actually not applied at all. Damn these online application forms.

My first round interview with this company was May 2. May 2 was quite some time ago. Quite some time ago means I want it over, done with, and out of my life!

They told me the interview process is five months long. Who has this kind of patience? Or, better yet, who has the kind of money that allows them the ability to wait it out for a job for five months? Sure the pay is good, but that's only if you make it across the impossible five month long obstacle course.

I applied during one of my application frenzies. These frenzies generally occur when I get a glimpse of my future living out of a box or standing on a street corner, after which I apply to as many jobs as I can find in quick succession, not looking really at what they are. Whenever I get a call from one of these companies wanting to schedule an interview I have to mask the "huh!?" noise I make - sometimes I have no recollection of having ever applied.

I will probably have another frenzy soon, as the job I was really looking forward to wants someone who can start immediately. They keep using the term immediately, yet the process has taken almost one month. So naturally, when a short term project came to my attention I didn't think it would cause a problem. I do need to put bread on the table, people! And even though I've said the hell with law school, law school loans would never say the hell with me. Nope, law school loans are hot on my tail. I never thought that a company wouldn't be willing to wait three or four weeks, but I guess that when you're an entry-level recent college grad sweat shop you can just roll in the next monkey.

Don't worry, Internet, I'll be sure to let you know how this one goes. It should be a riot. A laugh riot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home