• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

 

Not A Burger For Treehuggers


I read an article on Washington Post today about how restaurants are advertising towards men and women separately now. I have actually noticed this lately as well, and as you might assume, it pisses me off.

The article references a Burger King commercial:

The 60-second Burger King spot -- a spoof on '70s feminism -- shows men marching down the street, burning their briefs, unfurling signs that say "Eat This Meat," dissing quiche and singing their new manthem, to the tune of Helen Reddy's 1972 hit, "I Am Woman": "I am man, I am incorrigible, and I'm way too hungry to settle for chick food."

Hardees is also on the bandwagon:

Hardee's with its 1,400-calorie Monster Thickburger, a sandwich Hardee's chief executive Andrew Puzder has called "not a burger for tree-huggers."

And I believe I saw a commercial with men running down the streets yelling, and more and more men kept joining the crew. I think it was for one of those energy drinks... red bull, monster energy, one of those.

These kinds of ads seem dangerous to me. Sure there are those women who are slight and only eat yogurt or salads, but for the most part women really enjoy packing it away. And when they see an ad saying 'eat like a man,' they're going to feel either pissed off or guilty about the way they eat - neither of which will result in more money for the restaurant.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home