• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Monday, October 30, 2006

 

Texture


Incase you were wondering, no, Blogger has not yet fixed the issue with my title bar, nor have they even responded to say, "hey we got your message," or "look, Blogger is a free service, so deal with it."  Nothing. 

I've had some developments in the case of the missing career.  On Friday I ran into a woman I went to college with on the metro.  We talked for awhile about what was going on in our lives, and I mentioned my law school/career search/nurse shadowing experiences.  She reminded me of another person we graduated with who had majored in nursing.  I couldn't believe I had forgotten about her!  As soon as I got home I Facebook searched her, and it turns out she works in labor and delivery at a hospital not 10 minutes away from my apartment!  I thought, surely, the higher powers are smiling down on me.

But before I get all higher powery, I'm just glad to have another outlet to speak with.  I contacted her and she quickly responded that she would love to meet with me.  So, even if I don't know what the hell I'm doing, I feel pretty blessed to have all these connections and to have had friends with such varied interests. 

We finally carved pumpkins this weekend.  Our friend who was visiting decided to carve a Mexican day of the dead type pumpkin.  I thought that was pretty creative and I tried to copy him.  But he's an artist, and I'm not... so... mine looks a little 'special.'

We also found a totally sweet book sale this weekend at the local library.  It was really big and they had pretty amazing selection.  We bought a cardboard box full of books (which we have no space for on any of our bookshelves, so I'm in the market for another one).  I bought The Corrections: A Novel, Stiff (which I've been interested, but terrified, of buying for months), The Little Friend, Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe (on Halloween my junior year in high school, my English teacher turned off all the lights except for some spooky ones, played a CD of Halloween sounds, and had students come up to the front of the class and read Poe from a ridiculously old and tattered book.  I had a great time, and I'd been looking for a reasonably priced Poe collection ever since.) , and Lonely Planet: HawaiiThe boyfriend bought about three times as many books as I did.  I've never seen him buy things so impulsively, but the most expensive book I bought (the Poe) was only $4, so I guess you have to take advantage of the excellent sales when you can! 

The book sale was really great.  It made me think again, "How can I go towards the sciences when I love books so much?  When I'm actually good at reading something and then writing about it?"  Basically, I should just get kicked in the face.  And maybe I will... because now I've got to go to work.


2 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

One reason I didn't pursue professional opera is BECAUSE I 'Love music so much'.

It about beat the love out of me to have it for my job. Just me, though.

I wanted to see your "Special Pumpkin" but the link is broken.

Wah.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Seredne said...

boo, hiss at my dead link! I haven't taken a picture of my pumpkin yet, but here is what it's supposed to kinda sorta look like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mimundo/283429866/

ohhhh, scary?

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home