• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

 

Happy Purim


Yes, Happy Purim indeed!
Upon returning home today, I was greeted by a festive looking glass on my porch with some kind of bread, treats, jelly beans, and c
onfetti stuff. A note across the top read,

'Happy Purim from the Barrocas family!
p.s. The challah is made in fleishig keilim'

I don't know what those things are, or who that family is... but I whole heartedly approve. The little children of the neighborhood are all dressed up today. I saw a girl in a princess dress before I left this morning, but I think I was so grumbley that I didn't even take the time to think 'gee, that's odd.' I've never seen the Hasidic Jews wear bright colors before, so this must be a momentous occassion. Wikipedia says,

Purim (Hebrew: פורים Pûrîm "Lots", from Akkadian pūru)
is a joyous
Jewish holiday that commemorates the deliverance of Persian Jews from the plot of the evil Haman to exterminate them, as recorded in the biblical Book of Esther. It is characterized by drinking of wine, feasting, wearing of masks and costumes, giving charity to the poor, and giving gifts of food to one's friends.

The Book of Esther prescribes "the sending of portions one to another, and gifts to the poor". Over time, this became one of the most prominent features of the celebration of Purim. Jews send gifts
of food (called "mishloach manot"), especially wine and pastries, to one another, and Jews give charity to the poor. In the synagogue, regular collections are made on the festival and the money is distributed among the needy. No distinction was to be made among the poor; anyone who was willing to accept charity is allowed to participate. It is obligatory upon the poorest Jew, even one who is himself dependent on charity, to give to other poor people.

Maybe they think I'm poor... I guess the outside of the house is a little beat up. There was some crap on the deck and I couldn't figure out what it was. Of course, my first thought was that it was something poisonous or explosive. Upon closer examination, it's either pieces of my roof or my neighbor's roof. Neither would surprise me.


There was a time in my life when I really wanted to be Jewish. I know this sounds ridiculous, and probably even bordering on totally offensive for any Jews reading this (considering my reasoning for wanting to be Jewish was really the cultural draw rather than anything having to do with God). In fact, I even tricked myself into believing that I was half Jewish for a few months of my life. My best friend at the time was Jewish, and she always invited me over for the celebrations... leaving wine out for Elijah (I believe it was Elijah... because he was supposed to be out wandering around, please don't hold me to the factuality of this), building the Passover Seder, making chocolate covered matzah, fried matzah, dancing and singing (although I never knew the words), etc.

It really seemed great. Why wouldn't it? It sure beat what was going on in my house (ie nothing). Even if we had been a church-going family I am sure that I would have resisted it. Again, this clearly had nothing to do with religion.

Yet, it is probably true that I spent more time with Judaism growing up than any other religion...

So, thanks for the challah. Happy Purim to you, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home