• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

Get the Word OUT!


It pleases me immensely to know that counselors in training are discussing this issue! It needs to be brought to the attention of young people trying to make life decisions. I wish that I had decent counselors throughout my high school experience. In college, I frequently went to career services. I thought that the woman was a huge help at the time. I guess she did try to make me pause a little to rethink things but, as Deborah Schneider's book would later point out, I had a pretty big case of decision paralysis going on. I was not ready to rationally look at life after college, and I clung to what sounded reasonable... liberal arts degree, smart, hard-working, ambitious, likes reading/writing/research = law? There are so many more factors, and you don't get a medal for being a martyr.

Don't worry, I'm stopping the rant right there. Let's be honest... it will be back!

Inspiration for this post brought to you by:

MB (10:21:38 PM): we were talking about law school tonight in my counseling class...my prof was talking about how it is very bimodal...you either work 80-90 hours/wk and make a lot of money or end up being a public defender and still don't make enough to pay back all the loans you took out to go to law school...one girl commented on how she has a friend who is working 80 hours a week just to make the big $ and now absolutely hates law
MB (10:22:10 PM): and then we were talking about how ppl need to make their own decisions about what they want to do and follow their own paths regardless of parents
MB (10:22:19 PM): so basically i thought of you most of the class time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home