• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Friday, April 06, 2007

 

Trapped, again.

So, when is it time to find a new job and when do you just grin and bear it?

Bad bosses and bad work environments are, unfortunately, not unusual. This page is filled with articles on
What Makes a Bad Boss - Bad?, How Do You Know When It's Time for You to Go?, Bad Bosses: How to Cope if You Get Stuck With a Bad Boss, ad nauseum.

Some people quit because they just won't stand for those shenanigans. Some people stay and make themselves more miserable because they don't think they have any other option (and maybe they don't). I've played through several situations in my life where I felt trapped in a bad situation. So maybe one of the big reasons I won't leave now is because, what if it's me?

My very first job was at a grocery store. I bagged groceries and then wheeled them out to the customer's car in the sweltering heat to unload the bags in the trunk. People were often rude, but what did I expect for a high school student? I quit after just 1.5 months.

My first year of college, I was disappointed with the school I'd chosen. I wanted some place to push myself more and something that would look more attractive to graduate schools. I transferred. My third year of college I worked for the Residence Life program as an RA, one of those hall monitor types. I didn't quit, but I didn't come back for a second year after being disillusioned with the bureaucracy of the program. Law School? Let's not even go there right now.

So, I've put in my time. I don't quit right in the middle, but what if I'm someone who gets easily or unnecessarily unsatisfied with things? My parents always work overtime and with unappreciative bosses... they're miserable, but they stay.

It took me a long time to learn the opposite of their example, that being unhappy in your job should not be the status quo.

Was I wrong? If most people don't like their jobs, does that make it more acceptable? Is it "just one of those things?"

Unfortunately these questions aren't the only thing holding me to my job. Since I did leave law school after one year, I don't want my next job to think that I'm a job hopper. I feel that I should stay with my current company for at least one year (only about 3 months away). But since I've also been kicking around the idea of nursing school, that would most likely happen Fall 2008, and it wouldn't make sense to find another job only to stay there for less than a year.

But another whole year at my company doesn't sound too good about now. I know we're in a particularly busy patch that will hopefully end in the next two weeks, but I'm just so tired... so tired... SO TIRED of being in these undesirable situations.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home