• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

 

I'm Baaaaack


Well, I didn't want you to think that I died, Internet. Although, I almost did.

I guess I forgot how awful moving was. Lugging around heavy furniture (hooray for sectional couches with a hide-a-bed inside... doesn't get much worse than that) in the scorching heat is pretty terrible, but there were some pitfalls along the way.

Namely, never rent a truck with U-Haul. Okay, I'd never had a problem with them before this weekend, but it was a pretty big problem.

To make a painfully long story a tad shorter, I rented a 14 foot moving truck for Saturday morning in Pittsburgh. They called me Friday night to say they didn't have it, but no worry, they'd give me a 26 foot truck for the same price.

GEE THANKS! I really wanted a 26 foot truck that I CAN'T FIT where I need it to go!

After much calling, complaining, and near crying, they finally told me that they had a 17 foot truck an hour away from pittsburgh that I could pick up at 2:30 p.m. Not the size, location, or time that I wanted, but I was backed into a corner.

The next morning we called any truck rental we could find. They didn't have what we needed. We kept badgering U-Haul as well, but they said they wouldn't search for new trucks in the area unless I cancelled my reservation. Well I wasn't going to cancel the only thing I had!

Finally we had my boyfriend call and ask about a truck. They found a 17 foot truck in Pittsburgh for him, so we went with that. Although I wasn't going to cancel the other reservation until he was actually sitting in the truck!

While he was on the way to pick up the truck, U-Haul called me about my reservation (the 17 foot truck an hour away from Pittsburgh). They said they couldn't give it to me because it exploded, but they had a 26 foot truck I could have.

Thank God my boyfriend's reservation came through. It was a mess... an totally, completely, horrifically big mess!
But we're all moved in to our new place now. It's very nice, and I feel like I'm living in a fancy hotel. We're piled in boxes; we just lost the energy to keep moving and unpacking. Yesterday and this morning I woke up hoping that the unpacking fairy had visited, but she's a damned bitch and didn't come!

Sorry, I realize that was not a short explanation.

For more information on U-Haul sucking, I unearthed the following webpages:
U-Haulsucks.com
U-haul doesn't care about your reservation

U-Hell


2 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I think the "UHell" title is my favorite.

Sucks on the truck. :(

12:55 PM  
Blogger Penguin said...

First off, I can SO relate to the UHell experience. Try having a reservation, getting to the place and they tell you you are 1 year early...HUH?! 1 YEAR? Yup, they had the reservation for MM/DD/YYYY+1. So, they found me a truck, yes, 2 hours away. Same size truck, but I had to be there to get it in 2 hours or else. I made it, got it, loaded it and wrote a NASTY letter to them. Response? NONE.

p.s. Pittsburgh? I grew up just north of there! Miss it much.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home