• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Monday, July 03, 2006

 

Kids, Cousins, and Beer Lead to Barf


I sure wish that I could talk freely about my job without fear of being dooced. Today I would have a mouthful of rants and raves to pass on. Let's just say, I try to teach elementary age children things... and elementary age children do their thing.

In other news, I finished the Harry Potter series (or what's out so far) last night. Life is sad without looking forward to these colorful and intriguing stories every day. If you live under a rock life me and haven't read them yet, you really have to. I scoffed at the world for getting so crazed by these books, but now the scoff is on me.

In other-other news, once upon a time I wrote an entry about Myspace. I do not believe that I mentioned Facebook. In case you don't know, Facebook is like Myspace light. You have to be registered in college at some point to join Facebook, or at least you did when I joined. Also, while on Myspace you're likely to see pictures of kids crying in dark corners, Facebook showcases fratty kids laughing with a beer in their hand.

I am registered on Facebook, and I'm proud of it. My cousin who is still in college, and who I barely have a relationship with, is also on Facebook. We are Facebook "friends." Today she sent me a Facebook invitation. Apparently the rest of her family, my aunt, uncle, and other cousin, are leaving the country for a few weeks. So my cousin, kind soul that she is, invited me to a raucous party at my aunt and uncle's house.

Name: Beer B Q
Tagline: Everyone's going to X for 2 weeks.. but me.
Type: Party - Erotic Party

Description
An intense day of drinking, grilling, and music.. most likely to be an entire weekend event.

While perhaps this invitation would entice me if from a friend, something like this from my cousin simply makes me shift uncomfortably in my chair. I don't like to think about my cousin having erotic parties or engaging in underage drinking, especially alone and unsupervised at my aunt and uncle's house. Perhaps this is another sign that I'm getting too old, but I think I always would have reacted this way.

From things I saw in college, underage drinking generally leads to someone falling down a flight of stairs, 911 being dialed, and young kiddies trying to climb out windows to hide in trash cans. Other incidents include someone drinking at my apartment and telling me, "I can handle it! I drink like this all the time!" after they finished a 40 oz. of Hurricane Malt Liquor in under 60 seconds. And yes, I did find them unconcious in a driveway later that evening.

Thus, even underage supervised drinking generally leads to some stupidity. Anyone who says, "I can handle it," clearly can not. I love the occasional drink, but I guess I've been blessed by always knowing my limits well in advance of any shenanigans. And drinking has always been more fun for me if others in the vicinity are just dancing with vigor or talking and squeaking animatedly and not barfing in my hair or climbing out windows.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home