• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Monday, August 28, 2006

 

Falling off the Horse, Climbing on the Horse


What should I do with my life? Who are my real friends? Diet Pepsi or generic brand cola?

It's amazing how many questions we're bombarded with in one day.

As for the first question, I've been calmly tossing around various alternatives in my head. I know I can't and won't stay at my current job forever, if for no other reason than that I don't want to settle in this area. But before I make any big decisions I want to test the waters. I want to get into it as much as I can without actually jumping head first.

What is it that I've been tossing around? Nursing, actually.

Yes, I was a history major in college. Yes, I hate math. But I don't think those things necessarily matter. Lots of schools have an accelerated BSN program specifically for people who didn't major in Nursing and are now interested. Also, from what I've heard, the math is fairly basic.

I'm interested in science, information that changes, having to constantly teach yourself new things, specializing in some skill or trade (even though the legal trade didn't fit the bill), being a member of a team, and working with people. Maybe that listing sounds extremely basic and unexciting to you, Internet, but it's taken me years and thousands of wasted dollars in loans to figure it out.

I've been thinking about Nursing since maybe April, but I still have not uttered the word to my parents. They won't approve a) because it's not law school b) because it's what my boyfriend's mother does, and there will be weird rivalry and feathers ruffled as usual. But I thought it would be interesting to come clean here. I tried to make contact with some alumni from my school, yet they haven't responded.

So, if you are in nursing, know someone in nursing, have no connection to nursing but still have something to say... I would love to hear more about it. Information such as pros and cons, likes and dislikes, newbie advice and sage wisdom are all welcome.

3 Comments:

Blogger Penguin said...

All I know about nursing is that my father (a doctor) married one. She said the math and science weren't that difficult and she took up the profession because she likes helping people - her "specialty" is elderly care.
There are so many different types of nurses now, I'm sure you can find one to fit your academic and life skills.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I have four relatives that are all in nursing. Very heavy on the science and the math, but i don't know if that is just because of their undergad degrees.

I do know that they love it, they are in HUGE demand and that the pay rocks. They also feel like they have more impact on care than doctors (Which I completely agree with). Nurses determine a lot of the outsome of a hospital stay.

Is there a particular nursing field you want to specialize in?

7:08 PM  
Blogger Seredne said...

Thanks for the input!

Loralee, I haven't gotten THAT far yet. I'm still in the pretty general stages of it.

Thanks again.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home