• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Thursday, December 14, 2006

 

The Little Black Dress and the Little Yellow Belly

Today I face one of my toughest challenges yet: the office holiday party.

It's right after work, no significant others or husbands/wives allowed, and at a fancy restaurant.   I've never been to one of these things before.  I know it's bad to have boobs all over the place in your bosses face, but it's also bad to look like I'm in some old rags that I pulled out of the neighbors trash can.  I decided on the black dress, can't go wrong with that?

I've worn the dress to my community service organization's 25th anniversary dinner and ceremony third year of college, my grandfather's funeral freshman year of college, and also junior year of high school when boyfriend and I were Interact Club homecoming prince and princess... yes, we sat on the top of a car and road around the football field.  So as you can see, the dress is versatile.

But, I haven't really worn a dress in about a year.  Especially one that hits just above my knee.  Standing on the metro with the DC workers in their dark and navy pants, pantsuits and trench coats, I felt like Julia Roberts in 'Pretty Woman' when she sits on the glass countertop in the fancy Beverly Hills hotel or walks down Rodeo drive...  or maybe even Gena Davis in 'A League of their Own' when she first puts on the tiny Georgia Peach baseball uniform and realizes that tall people have difficulty with short skirts.

It was an unpleasant feeling, but it was that or change in the bathroom at the end of the day and hide my work clothes in a giant bag at the restaurant.  Really, I felt naked.  I'm still not keen on the idea of getting up from my desk.  I'll feel better when it's dark and we get inside that restaurant.  I know knee length isn't that short, but I'm no fancy lady...




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home