• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

 

Happy Hump Day


Do you ever wake up feeling like you never went to sleep? Yeah...

It's been an eventful few days, though. On Saturday morning I shadowed a friend of mine from college at a hospital. She's a labor and delivery nurse. Unfortunately, no babies were delivered that morning; we were assigned to induction. But I did learn how to put in an epidural (which looks so horrible and painful that I found myself thinking, "Kids?! Who wants kids!?") and a catheter. Oh, and I got to wear scrubs... which is, of course, a bonus. The four hours I was there went by very fast, and I was pretty exhausted by the end. Women about to go into labor need a lot of attention, especially ones where you're trying to induce the labor. We were on our feet the whole time. But really, I could see myself doing it.

My friend used to work in oncology, then she switched to labor and delivery 2.5 years ago. She said there are lots of stereotypes... oncology are the depressed nurses, labor and delivery are the stupid, happy nurses, apparently. Okay, you're not dealing with people who accidentally sawed off their arm or had a heart attack, but women in labor really do need some intense care. I'm not saying it's harder than surgery or anything, just that I don't agree with the stereotype.

So, I signed up for one of the nursing school prerequisites at a local community college. It's distance learning, so this one is online. There are no online classes or anything, just spend over $100 on a book to teach yourself, search desperately for that old graphing calculator, and then pay over $200 to have a piece of paper to show schools 'yes, I took this course.'

I also saw Children of Men over the weekend. I'm not really sure how I felt about it. It was a pretty horrible future. And some of the story I don't think was explained well enough, or at least I didn't buy into it. Maybe if someone can convince me I'll change my mind.

But the next day we rented Little Miss Sunshine. I did like this movie. Sometimes it felt like a knock-off of parts of other movies (Donnie Darko, The Royal Tenenbaums). A friend told me they felt the characters were unnecessarily quirky. That may be true, but I still enjoyed it.

Off to another uproarious day of work (har har har)! Oh yes, and I've gotten hooked on The Office (the American version).


1 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Epidurals are horrifying, aren't they? However, when you are truly wanting someone to put a bullet in your head to stop the goddamn pain, it is a fairly good alternative.

Not to further put you off kids, or anything...
;)

P.S. I would love to be a labor and delivery nurse because the NURSES are what makes the true difference in a delivery. You see the dr. for like, 15 minutes total.

That said: A Bad Day in that unit would be a VERY bad day.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home