• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Friday, June 15, 2007

 

Ain't Sayin' She's a Gold Digger

Because boyfriend is done, he's embarking on a party extravaganza.  Last night we went out for dinner and drinks with four of first year college roommates, two of which he hasn't seen since graduation. 

One is an immensely successful business executive, one just finished his second year of Harvard Law and is also in his second year of marriage, one just finished his second year of Columbia Law, one does something with Homeland Security, and then there's me and boyfriend.

Oh, life, you have such a sick sense of humor!  Why did I have to love writing, reading and art instead of accounting or fuel cells?  Some people freakin' love talking about fuel cells!  Even boyfriend, an English and American Studies double major, is a fake!  I was studying my Anatomy and Physiology earlier in the week, throwing out some questions to him about electrons, atomic weight, noble gases, ionic bonds, etc. because he loves being quizzed, and damn if he didn't know every single answer!   You know the last time he took a biology course?  HIGH SCHOOL!

Whoops!  Was I supposed to remember things I learned in high school?  Yeah...

Tonight is boyfriend's official program graduation ceremony.  They'll have some hors d'oeuvres, a speaker or two, and show slides from the year.  Afterwards there will be a party at someone's house.  The people in this program are smart, so I'm sure it will be more stories of law school, six digit salaries, and caviar.  Okay, maybe not the caviar.  I go too far!

Here's how it will go down:

"Hey, Seredne, so what are you doing these days?"
"Oh, ya know, just workin'."
"What do you do?"
"I'm in consulting... I'm also a certified drug test collector!"
"Wow.. that's great! 
"Yeah, it pays the bills.  What are you going to do now?"
"Well, my father, William J. Moneybanks, IV, owns all these oils companies and he offered me a job there as junior CEO, but I think I'm going to go to law school, then med school, then probably get my PhD in biochemistry and cure cancer.  I like politics a lot... so maybe I'll run for president in about 15 years and end poverty and close the achievement gap... maybe a little animal rights and world peace.  After that I can always train to become an astronaut where I can bring politics to space and colonize a democratic Europa."

This is the part where I barf all over myself and run out of the room.  I'll be like the scary little boy in The Sixth Sense, "I see [successful] people!!"

I'm not intimidated, really.  It's actually rather funny listening to people.  Instead of flaunting their success they try to denigrate their achievements.  They'll say it's just luck, or that they have no idea how they got where they are, or that it's all just a stupid thing anyway.  I hope that's not what they really think, because it is awesome that they're so smart and driven.  I really don't think I'm a leper of society for leaving law school, and hopefully in time they'll stop feeling like they have to hate on the field when I'm around.  I'm past that foaming at the mouth, crazy lunatic ex-law student stage.  Hopefully, too, people will stop asking me for advice or comments about law school before they enter, as if in finding out my reasons for leaving they'll be able to mull it over in their own mind and think "well, I'm not like that" or "that statement doesn't apply to me."  Been there, done that. 

They'll just have to find out for themselves; I'll be busy making other plans [insert coy smiley face].

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home