• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Monday, July 24, 2006

 

New Faces, New Places


drop out of law school - check
move to one location instead of three - check
finish temporary summer job - check
enter the full-time world - CHECK

Today was my first day of big kid work... the full-time job: no summer vacation, no "I don't feel like it today."

The first part of the day was hilarious. Everyone crowds on the metro not talking to one another and listening to their ipod or reading the paper.

My new workplace is nice. I have my own office, i.e. awesome. I have a nice view down to the bustling street below. It makes me want to submit it.

The people I work with are all very friendly and personable. It's a smaller office. I'll get to work on a lot of different projects and pick up a lot of information along the way. It's definitely an adjustment. I'm not used to being so tired at the end of the day. And the prospect of having no summer vacation anymore is a little daunting. We really do spend so much of our lives working; it's a little scary.

But it sure as shit beats attending law school and living the life of an attorney (at least, the life that I would have had with it... public service job, no money, assloads of loans, working 500,000 hours a day)! We've been down that road enough, don't you think?

Also, my new neighbor across the way needs to realize that it's not a good idea to pull down your pants and check yourself out in the mirror unless you close all the blinds. Leaving all your blinds open plus having all the lights on while hundreds of other people could be (and are, in my case) standing out on their balcony will only lead to embarrassment for you. Yikes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Penguin said...

Congrats on your new job. I hope you find it rewarding and pleasant.

I was never cut out for office work. I just can't sit in the same place for 8 -9 -10 hours a day doing the same thing over, and over, and over again. Sorry...

Your new neighbor sounds hilarious. Perhaps an anonymous note may help?

Good Luck with your new adventure.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Seredne said...

Yeah, I don't know if I'm cut out for office work either. I'm really hoping that this job will introduce me to a bunch of different possible paths... good paths, ones that don't involve the legal field.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Seredne said...

oh, and about my neighbor... I thought about leaving a note, but then I thought maybe she'd get really scared or upset by it. I'm thinking of trying the 'if you ignore it, it will go away' method...

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home