• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Monday, September 18, 2006

 

Booze and Nudity, the Life of a College Student Does Not Change


This weekend I traveled back to my alma mater for some Homecoming Weekend entertainment. We miserably lost our homecoming game (as we lost our opener, etc.), but it was excellent to catch up with some friends.


Saturday night, I don't know what we were thinking, but someone talked us into going to a college party for an organizat
ion that all of us were in when we were in college. Things really don't change, except you do. And you feel ridiculously creepy and scared that some 18 year olds might decide to run around naked and then you'll feel like you should be arrested.

That party just went from bad to worse. One woman who just recently graduated came up to say hello and smacked me hard across the face. Apparently smacking is her new "thing;" I wish I had been aware of that so I could have stayed away. I'm too old for that shit.

Later that evening we went to sit on the main campus lawn area. It was packed for being 2:15 a.m. Students kept coming up to us and asking, "hey man, are you streaking?" We snorted, to which they responded, "dudes, you should totally go streaking. I've gone EVERY FOUR NIGHTS!! WOOOoooOOooOo!" And then he ran off. Oh, college.

In other excitement, we saw Dave Matthews while we were eating at a restaurant on the downtown mall (a neat area that attracts all sorts of oddity... artisans, musicians, punks, and homeless alike). He was just walking and hanging out. It looked like he was by himself, but of course a few people recognized him. I took a fuzzy/grainy camera phone picture.

While at brunch on Sunday before saying goodbye to everyone, I received a call from a friend asking if I'd seen the news today (never a good way to begin a conversation). He was wondering if I had heard that there was a shooting at my old law school. Five basketball players were shot on campus after a dance in the Student Union building. No, I did not know. And I hope that the people in critical condition will be okay. I find it pretty unbelievable. Thanks to everyone who called me to let me know.

And a special shoutout to my friend who delivered two adorable pumpkin salt and pepper shakers to my apartment on Friday. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

You got them! Horray!

Cool friend.

Can I rent them or something?

P.S.
I am now convinced that I had the most boring and lame college experience ever.

11:36 AM  
Blogger erin said...

oooh. pumpkin salt and pepper shakers. i'm so jealous. i've been lusting over the le crueset pumpkin casserole for about a year now. i have a soup tureen that looks like a cabbage, but its just not the same.

going back to college is strange. it's amazing to me that each class seems to think they're the first (including mine, of course). ah, to be young again - although i'm not sure i was ever young enough for streaking :)

ps - nice banner!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home