• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

Is it a Gathering, a Shindig, or a Hootinanny?


Ouch... I had a motherload of a headache yesterday, so I apologize for not responding to e-mails yesterday. I will try to do that tonight.

While I was writhing around on my bed with this awful headache, my mother was calling. Did someone die? No. Did a robber come, break into the house, and steal her jewelery? Not this time. She wants me to know that she's sending me Richmond Weddings Magazine. This is in addition to Martha Stewart Weddings, which she also sends me from time to time. Try to keep in mind that, important fact, I'm not engaged.

Sure, some religious parents might be upset that their daughter is living with a man that she is not yet engaged to (no matter how many eons they've been dating). My parents aren't really religious, though. They deal with it by convincing themselves that I am actually engaged. They talk about how hard it's going to be to pay for, what a hassle, and the trouble of finding a dress that will fit my hips. Complaints, yet they want it to happen. Welcome to the contradictory world of my family.

Even my boyfriend's father was talking about weddings this past weekend, and he's not even deranged. He was saying that back in the old days, the bride's parents would pay for the wedding but they also had complete say over everything. Now the bride picks out everything but the parents still get the bill, and he doesn't see why he should have to pay for that. I guess I see his point. But I would rather pay for the entire thing than subject my "big day" to the direction of my parents.

I used to want a small wedding, but now I'm not so sure anymore. I think I'd really like a big celebration. I want everyone to have fun. Too bad we can't go back in time... I think I'd do really well with some crazy Medieval wedding where all the villagers got together with lots of Irish music, dancing, and pigs being rotisseried. Actually now I'm thinking of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring in the scene with Bilbo's birthday party. Dang, I wish magic was real.

Well, as long as she doesn't take out an engagement announcement any time soon in the newspaper I think I'll be okay. But, with these people, anything is possible!




3 Comments:

Blogger erin said...

I've always thought in lieu of a wedding, I would like to just have a big party (can you imagine what a bitchin' party one could have with the thousands that are spent on a wedding?) i envision something much like you speak of: big tents, kegs of ale and wine, pigs roasting, bands... yeah, that'd be good

5:43 PM  
Blogger Seredne said...

Damn, you could have a pretty bitchin' party. And maybe you could even be the first bride to do a keg stand... tradition be damned!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Womoon said...

I'll let you know if you appear in the paper...I read that section every Sunday either online or in person. At this rate, you'll be engaged before me ;)

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home