• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

 

Gripes

I hate to gripe, but some days I just can't help it. 

Let's say you're leaving your apartment building at the same time as two other people, one female and one male.  You take the elevator down together (you don't know them, though, so you don't talk to them... no one talks to eachother in your apartment complex) and you exit to the right, the side exit from the building.  The side exit takes you into a corridor and the door is heavy, but you like to walk fast and so you're the first one through the door.

You go through the door and hold it, the young woman was right behind you and the man right behind her.  Normally when you a door for someone behind you, they'll grab it themselves once they get there.  Well, not this woman.  She wasn't going to grab the door herself at all (and, I'm not going to pretend this gripe is about a hypothetical 'you' anymore.. it's about ME!).

There are different ways to hold a door.  You can (a) stand inside while pushing the door open with one arm, you can (b) go through the door and then turn around and hold it for whoever is behind you, or you can do the (c) "I'm in a rush, but I don't want to slam the door in your face" type of hold.  This is when you go through the door but stick your arm out behind you, just barely holding it open a few seconds longer for someone who is right behind you.  This type of hold is not meant to be like a (b) hold. 

Basically, do I look like a door man?  We're all dressed in our work clothes, clearly going to work, clearly trying to catch the metro, clutching our oversized purses and/or lunch bags, so why (why why why why!) do you expect me to hold the door for you?  Am I hitting on you? NO! 

I'll throw in another gripe while I'm here.  Metro people, why do you stand up in your seat/make the person on the outside get up to let you out/start shuffling towards the exit before the train has even stopped moving?  Maybe if this were Europe (or New York?) where the train moves fast and doesn't wait for people to get off or on, but it's not!  In DC, the train couldn't be any slower.  Does it really take you that long to stand up?  Because it takes me about 5 seconds, and I don't think those 5 seconds are going to cause me to be stuck on the train unable to get off!  Just leave your ass sitting down until the train stops moving! 

I THINK I'm done...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home