• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

 

It sure seems like a lot is happening.

Good morning, Internet!!

My dad mentioned on the phone this morning that the super bowl is Sunday. The super bowl?! Who is playing? I completely missed this. Last year I was IN THE ACTION (ie, Pittsburgh). The place was a mad house. I think I mentioned last year, three cars ran into the telephone pole in front of my house that night! Fireworks, fires in the street, screaming, yelling... it was amazing. Thinking about the super bowl makes me miss Pittsburgh quite a bit. It was so different than anything I'd experienced before. Where I live now is fine (well, you can't find any decent Chinese food at all), but it's nothing like living in a quirky city like Pittsburgh.

But at least here I can get people to visit me! Everyone thought Pittsburgh was lightyears away (also freezing, dirty, and a death-hole... but they were quite wrong!). A friend from my hometown is coming up today to go to this:

Matthew Barney: Artmaster

2007-01-31
Matthew Barney and Guggenheim Museum curator Nancy Spector will discuss the influence of Joseph Beuys' art on the evolution of Barney's work, which includes the much-loved (and much-loathed) films "The Cremaster Cycle." Seats are first come, first served, so get there early. The Hirshhorn also has a Webcast planned if you'd rather not leave home.

ยป Hirshhorn Museum, Independence Avenue at Seventh Street SW; 7 p.m., doors open 6 p.m., free; 202-633-1000 (L'Enfant Plaza)

Yeah, so... there's that. But before he goes to wait in line for tickets, we're going to lunch! That is, of course, unless I get sucked into some horrible meeting. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

In other news, I spoke with a friend the other night about nursing. She is still in undergraduate school in a nursing program and she's graduating in May. She's trying to decide where to work next year, etc. I asked her why nursing, and she talked about having an interest in discovery and working with people. We discussed nursing vs. something like an Masters of Public Health degree. We also touched on many of the stereotypes about nurses (that they're unintelligent, couldn't cut it to become doctors, uneducated, or that all they do is change bed pans). It seems like most people just have no idea at all what nurses do. I'm glad I haven't mentioned my interest in this field at all to my parents yet; I don't think I'm quite ready to go there. But I am extremely happy that I have been able to talk to someone in nursing in almost every section of their career... someone just starting out, someone who's been in the field for 3 or so years, and also a seasoned pro with a master's degree. I count myself extremely lucky.

So I'm just clicking my heels today. I still haven't managed to wake up at 6am to go to the gym. My excuse today was that the week is almost over, and I should really start making a new schedule for myself at the beginning of the week. I'm a master at smooth talking myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home