• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Saturday, April 15, 2006

 

OMFG SOHF!!


Wednesday night I went to a meeting at my alma mater. It wasn't planned... I just happened to be passing by town on my way to my parents' house when I realized that I would be in that city at the exact time of the meeting. Damn those people are incredible and welcoming. It felt so good to see them and hear what they were doing. I do go back once a semester, but those are times when the group is very busy and doesn't have much time. Well on this occasion I did not have much time, but it was nice nonetheless.

I spoke with one girl who told me she will not be going to law school in the fall as she had planned. She tried to describe to me that it was a hard year for applicants and that many of her friends with high GPAs and decent LSATs did not get in anywhere that they wanted to go.

Well, I'm sorry my friend, but there is no mistake. Law schools are not interested in high GPAs. Mine would rock your pants off, but it did not help.

I remember that one time during my senior year I was at my internship in GDC. The intern for the attorney I ran ridiculous errands for turned to me one day and wanted to talk about law school. You see, all law students want to talk about law school constantly and thoroughly. One of the main points of law school is to increase the egos and arrogance levels of people who really need no encouragement in that area.

This guy asked me flat out about my LSAT scores. Inappropriate... but again, such is the law school way. I told him that I was hoping my GPA and my university name would really help me. Well, he smashed those dreams. But since he was such a lame-ass, I chose to dismiss what he said.

Unfortunately the lame-ass was correct. Unless you have, not just a decent LSAT, but a pretty freakin awesome LSAT, you're not going to get in at your dream school. Because so many college graduates think they want to be lawyers, every school has the ability to be competitive. Even Barfsylvania University School of Law, the school that I currently attend.

I found this webpage that talks about how law school rankings are wack and there is so much else to look into when choosing a school. There are about 100 other webpages like this. This is nothing new to me, I've heard that before. But I still feel like such discussions are only relevant for a small minority of people... most prospective law students just have to take whatever leftovers are tossed their way.

Some things it mentions include:
Total JD enrollment: I agree, small schools increase the pain factor
Minority enrollment: My school has no Asians of any variety, 3 black girls in my section, no black men, no Hispanics, no Latinos... Any other racial population you can think of, we don't have it. Just white as far as the eye can see. And not just any white... lots of white men. Lots of 'awwww... look at the lil women folk trying to play with the big boys.' And the girls... oh geez... we're talking 'omg Sex & the City is my LIFE! I'm sooooo Carrie Bradshaw! I'm SUCH a 'Katie-girl'!! Guys will just never ever get it! Stupid guys!' And yes, I know minority doesn't mean male/female ratios... but... women are the minority... so eat it.

Let me shorten this up though... if you want to be a lawyer, and you've done your homework and you've gotten experience and you're pretty damn sure it's what you want to do.... but the only school you get into is 'I'm ass far away University' and it's not a horrible school but, as the name implies, it's ass far away and you have no connections there... save your goddamned money!

Now that I've shortened that shit up, let's lighten it up! With this handy little website. Now you can stay hip, sassy, and cool with the latest trends among them young whipper snappers*. Try to use one in IM or even real conversation today!

That's right...
C-P, everyone. BOHICA! TTFN!!


*a quick googling indicates: "Whippersnapper" is a somewhat archaic term, rarely heard today outside of movies, and then usually from the mouth of a character portrayed as chronologically-challenged and hopelessly old-fashioned to boot. A "whippersnapper" is an impertinent young person, usually a young man, whose lack of proper respect for the older generation is matched only by his laziness and lack of motivation to better himself.

One might imagine that the term derives from the understandable temptation among more productive citizens to "snap a whip" at such sullen layabouts, but the whips in question actually belonged to the whippersnappers themselves. Such ne'er-do-wells were originally known as "whip snappers" in the 17th century, after their habit of standing around on street corners all day, idly snapping whips to pass the time. The term was been based on the already-existing phrase, "snipper-snapper," also meaning a worthless young man, but in any case, "whip snapper" became "whippersnapper" fairly rapidly.

Though "whippersnapper" originally referred to a young man with no visible ambition, the term has changed somewhat over the years, and today is more likely to be applied to a youngster with an excess of both ambition and impertinence.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home