• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 

That's Enough, Richmond


Another cute, young girl is killed in Richmond, VA in an area that is very safe.

Earlier this year it was the Harvey family who was randomly and brutally killed in their home, again in a very safe neighborhood. Before that, Taylor Behl, a college freshman at VCU was killed at a beach during what the killer called "rough, but consensual sex."

I know people are killed every day and all the time. I know there are some areas of cities where the children are not allowed outside to play because it is so dangerous. I'm not saying that those deaths are less worthy than the high profile cases I cited above, but they do drive home the point that it can happen to anyone.

How many times have I been to the place where the most recent girl was killed? Plenty. It's not unsafe, so why wouldn't I go alone? Why wouldn't I go with my head up my ass, daydreaming about whatever, and not paying attention to my surroundings. It could be me; it could be anyone I love.

What a fine line we have to walk between being neurotic about our safety and learning to pay a little more attention. And no matter how prepared someone is, who knows how you will react when in that type of terrifying situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home