• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

 

Compromising with.... Yourself?

Fiance and I had our phone interview with a prospective wedding ceremony officiant last night.  I guess she's technically an interfaith Minister who performs Interfaith, Intercultural, Interracial, Civil/Humanist, and Spiritual but not Religious ceremonies.  She does lots of weddings, and it seems like her specialty is working with couples from two very different backgrounds and bringing their religious beliefs together.  She likes to focus on things that are important to the couple and really create something meaningful.  We both thought she seemed great and she wasn't at all "out there."  We set up a date and time to actually meet her in the middle of August; we both have high hopes.

I guess we should also set up an alternative or two to meet with.  Ha, I just don't want to!  What are good things to look for in a prospective officiant?  I guess mostly liking them is important.

We should probably set up some other appointments as well.  A woman I used to work with recently told me that her best advice (she's getting married in October) is to book the vendors early so that you have it in place.  That doesn't mean picking what flowers you're going to have or which songs should be played, just that you know who your vendor is and you can work with them periodically.  This sounds like good advice to us, so we're going for it. 

I'm thinking that right now is the really fun time of the wedding planning.  We have nothing in stone except for the ceremony and reception site; the canvas is blank.  We don't have anyone else with a signed contract telling us, "I can't do this" or "Sure, but it will cost you more money." 

We don't really have a theme or a "feel" that we're going for yet.  I can see several scenarios... I can something very elegant and classic, something pretty quirky and silly, a shore theme with little shells around, a room that's colorful with tropical flowers, something very crafty with really unique favors and centerpieces, something jazzy and cool, or something very nature oriented with browns and greens/leaves and twigs.  I waver between raucous feast and a more dignified affair.  Seriously! 

We have some diverse interests.  I'm not particularly sure how to accommodate them all.  Even with the wedding shower, I wonder what will be planned for me!  I could see a luncheon with bite sized foods and petit fours, something catered and decorative, or a casual bbq with tiki torches, dogs running around and tossing the frisbee!  I'll be very interested to see which side of Seredne the planners decide to go with... and which side of ourselves that fiance and I want to go with for the wedding!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home