• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Thursday, August 02, 2007

 

Giant Cupcakes on Parade

Well, I made my first Funfetti Giant Cupcake last night. It was someone’s birthday at work yesterday so I figured that I had a great excuse. Of course, I have no idea how I’m going to get it to work.

There are a few small problems with the pan. One box of cake mix does work fine, you just split it evenly between the two sides of the pan. There’s a half that belongs to the base (where the wrapper would be) and the other half is where the icing would be (you cover that part with icing when you put it together). But, the half that you put icing on is very shallow, and it cooked much more quickly than the base. The base actually took quite a bit longer; the middle just did not want to cook. I finally had to shimmy the top half out of the pan (sooner than I like taking it out) and put the base back in for at least 10 more minutes.

Second, maybe this pan does make a giant cupcake, but it does not make a giant cake. You couldn’t take the result of this pan to a 13 year old’s birthday party and expect to feed all the kiddies. Even though it still uses one box of cake mix like another cake you might make, the way it’s put together and the way you’ll have to cut it will just make less slices for hungry, grabbing paws. Remember that since it’s two halves that you have to put together, you have to cut off a good bit of the middle part of the cake that rose; you need two flat halves. I took a picture of the cake next to my cactus margarita glass for perspective.

This cake would be an awesome supplement to something else. After all, it’s pretty cute and decorative. But once you cut the first piece I wonder how much it will even look like a cupcake anymore. I love this pan, I’m excited to make giant cupcakes for people, but I’m just warning you not to put all your eggs in the giant cupcake basket.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I seriously need to make this for my sister in law, Nooncy. She loves cupcakes.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home