• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Monday, August 07, 2006

 

Clerks II


I love when I have low expectations for something and it turns out to be good.

I'm not a huge fan of Kevin Smith movies:
  • Jersey Girl (2004): I saw this on a plane to Europe. If I wasn't so excited about Europe, I would have ejected myself from the plane.
  • Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001): never saw it... thankfully
  • Dogma (1999): It wasn't awful? Except for the scene with the shit monsters.
  • Chasing Amy (1997): I don't see what all the fuss was about.
  • Mallrats (1995): meh?
  • Clerks. (1994): The first time I saw this I loved it. I watched it again two years later and thought it was the worst thing I'd ever seen... so... I guess I have mixed feelings.
So when I went to see Clerks II this weekend, I wasn't about to get my hopes up.

The first 20 minutes were painful. I felt uncomfortable watching the movie trying to find its footing. But after that, it really got quite good. I laughed out loud, and I never do that at the movies.

If you've seen a commercial for it, then you've probably seen part of the scene where Jay reinvents the little song and dance from Silence of the Lambs that Buffalo Bill does while he's making himself all lady-like. It's the best scene in the movie, extremely clever.

I really never thought I'd enjoy this movie, but if you don't expect a masterpiece then I think you can have a lot of fun with it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Penguin said...

Well, I loved Dogma for many reasons I won't list here.

I couldn't get into Clerks or Chasing Amy. I think I am just "too old" for that stuff.

Oh, well.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Womoon said...

I LOVE Kevin Smith films!! Chasing Amy is my all-time favorite and Clerks is the only one I could never get into. But I am going to see the sequel, though it will probably be out on DVD before that happens.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Seredne said...

I just don't know...

Chasing Amy rubs me the wrong way... and it's the same kind of feeling that My Best Friend's Wedding gives me. They creep me out.

Clerks II is different than Clerks I. I give it two thumbs up!

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home