• mallorean
  • stiff"
  • pledged"
  • Buffy"

Monday, October 09, 2006

 

There's No Place Like...


It was one hell of a weekend. I went home to my parents' house. I realized, with some help, that I probably thought things were getting better because I don't live their anymore, not because they actually are. I wound up leaving the house pretty early on Sunday. They want me to go back again this coming weekend because my brother will be in town, but I don't know if I can do it. I let them guilt me so much all the time. It's probably time for me to get serious about helping myself so that they can't hurt me so much anymore. But it's scary, confusing, and of course I'm guilt ridden.

Happier thoughts or more detailed troubles may appear this evening...

3 Comments:

Blogger erin said...

I feel for you - I am all too familiar with the parental guilt syndrome. my mom is a pro. i've recently come to the realization that the only way for me to deal with it is head-on, like you say, taking control of myself so that she can't manipulate so much. i've tried everything else, including geographic distance (which, by the way, doesn't work because then you have guilt about not being able to visit, etc.). i only know you in a bloggerly sort of way, but i'm thinking you've already done quite a bit by quitting law school and looking into a career that really interests you. keep your chin up.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Oh, dear.
My parents are notorious for having major STRINGS with everything they do to "Help"

After my son died I decided that the price was too heavy to pay and I have been majorly backing away from my family. It has been very scary and very worth it.

Also, I finally had a come to jesus about them insinuating I am a bad daughter/sibling if I don't do "Family things" when some of them make me very uncomfortable.

It worked.

You'll get to that point.

You can do it!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Seredne said...

It's so haaaarrrrdddd. I can't explain it all, but it's hard. She is Jekyll and Hyde. Thanks for support... I'll be needing it.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home